Another day with an early start at 5:45 am so that we can catch our plane to the Galapagos Islands. I find it strange that when you go on vacation to a destination, you must always get up early but I suppose we can sleep some other time.
Our travel arrangements to the Galapagos was smooth as we had a guy Tony waiting for us at the airport to whisk us through the details. First we have to get our Galapagos Transit Card and once that was done, Tony takes our bag and goes and checks us in for our flight. He took our passports and went to a smaller line and then came back with our tickets, now that's service.
The flight to the islands was pretty uneventful. Dave and I had put on our seasick patches before leaving this morning so that we would be all set come time to get on the boat.
Once we landed in the Galapagos at the Baltra airport on Santa Cruz, we went through immigration where we also had to pay our national park fee, then they checked our carry luggage to ensure that no one was bringing anything to the islands that could grow and possibly take over an area. Then we collected our checked luggage and found our guide for our trip, Fausto.
They loaded us all up on a bus and brought us to the docks where we had to take a panga ride out to our ship and home for the week, the Samba. They started out with the assigning our cabins and Dave & I are in cabin #7 which is strange because I heard that this cabin, because it is on the top floor, gets all of the motion during the sailings and this made me a little nervous. I had specifically asked the travel agent to make sure we had room below near the engine as those were to be the most stable. But I figured that Dave and I had our patches on so what harm could it do. It's a decent little cabin with a double bed (all the others are bunk beds), some storage space and a small bath room with a stand up shower.
We unload our stuff into the room and then go downstairs for a briefing and some lunch as we head out to another end of Santa Cruz. At 3:00 is our first landing onto a beach area where we immediately see some marine iguanas and Sally lightfoot crabs. We hiked a trail out to where there was a small lagoon with a couple of Flamingos.
We headed back to the beach area where we swam for a little while. I thought the water was a bit on the cold side but all of our fellow cruisers who are from Australia, New Zealand and Holland all seemed to think it was pretty nice.
After we headed back to the ship and I had to lay down before supper as I wasn't feeling well, it was actually so bad that I went down for dinner and the first whiff of food made me running for the room. I think that this may have been something that I ate rather than seasickness as it didn't have quite the same symptoms but I seemed to get it out of my system early enough in trip that I hope it will not continue.
So off to an early bed for me today and Dave is not too far behind.
Our travel arrangements to the Galapagos was smooth as we had a guy Tony waiting for us at the airport to whisk us through the details. First we have to get our Galapagos Transit Card and once that was done, Tony takes our bag and goes and checks us in for our flight. He took our passports and went to a smaller line and then came back with our tickets, now that's service.
The flight to the islands was pretty uneventful. Dave and I had put on our seasick patches before leaving this morning so that we would be all set come time to get on the boat.
Once we landed in the Galapagos at the Baltra airport on Santa Cruz, we went through immigration where we also had to pay our national park fee, then they checked our carry luggage to ensure that no one was bringing anything to the islands that could grow and possibly take over an area. Then we collected our checked luggage and found our guide for our trip, Fausto.
They loaded us all up on a bus and brought us to the docks where we had to take a panga ride out to our ship and home for the week, the Samba. They started out with the assigning our cabins and Dave & I are in cabin #7 which is strange because I heard that this cabin, because it is on the top floor, gets all of the motion during the sailings and this made me a little nervous. I had specifically asked the travel agent to make sure we had room below near the engine as those were to be the most stable. But I figured that Dave and I had our patches on so what harm could it do. It's a decent little cabin with a double bed (all the others are bunk beds), some storage space and a small bath room with a stand up shower.
We unload our stuff into the room and then go downstairs for a briefing and some lunch as we head out to another end of Santa Cruz. At 3:00 is our first landing onto a beach area where we immediately see some marine iguanas and Sally lightfoot crabs. We hiked a trail out to where there was a small lagoon with a couple of Flamingos.
We headed back to the beach area where we swam for a little while. I thought the water was a bit on the cold side but all of our fellow cruisers who are from Australia, New Zealand and Holland all seemed to think it was pretty nice.
After we headed back to the ship and I had to lay down before supper as I wasn't feeling well, it was actually so bad that I went down for dinner and the first whiff of food made me running for the room. I think that this may have been something that I ate rather than seasickness as it didn't have quite the same symptoms but I seemed to get it out of my system early enough in trip that I hope it will not continue.
So off to an early bed for me today and Dave is not too far behind.
No comments:
Post a Comment